Wednesday, March 13, 2013

walhalla

















One of the highlights of our trip was visiting the little town of Walhalla, nestled in a steep valley, and rich in gold mining history, it was almost like stepping back in time. Daniel fell in love with the place, and I suspect he would move there tomorrow if he could!

We arrived quite late in the evening. Rain was just about to set in for the night, and we were tired from driving. After an enquiry at the hotel we managed to get ourselves a little cottage for the night. It was our big splurge for the holiday, and in the midst of all that camping it felt like quite a luxury. Perched on the edge of a steep mountain, with the view of the valley covered in gentle rain, it was beautifully cozy. Of course the next two nights spent there we went back to roughing it at the campsite.

There were many (steep) walks to do, which we somehow managed, old mines to see and a historic train ride. The steep cemetery and the cricket oval at the very top of the mountain were also highlights.

This is what we love about our trips. Discovering little gems of places, that are not on the regular tourist routes, places with a soul, steeped in history (literally) and one where you get a sense of community.

It is most definitely one of those places we would love to visit again.





Do you have a favourite little town that you love to visit?

13 comments:

  1. I love to find gems of places like Walhalla too. I love the small treasure shops, tea rooms and galleries that you sometimes find in these places. I always want to stay longer than intended. That cottage looks so cosy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to spend a few days. We've just bought a caravan so next summer when all the work is done on her, we'll hit the road in search of places just like this, but in New Zealand :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at the first photo, what a gorgeous little town. Carcoar in NSW was like that for me. Totally unexpected. I would move there if I could! It looks like you have had a wonderful time:)

    http://monkeemoomoo.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/carcoar.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It reminds me of our little road trip holiday to Melbourne from north of Sydney. Our favourite part was seeing all the cute little towns on the way. Everyone were so friendly and some even remembered us on our way back. I agree with what you said in your last post. Next time we will spend more time in each town and not do as much traveling. We cant wait to do it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that looks like my cup of tea....I always visit a towns cemetery, you can learn so much from them. cute cottage and the windy steep roads always add charm. looks like a great holiday cant wait to see more.
    ALlison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! I adore exploring quirky little towns and villages and discovering their histories.
    This one looks like a great place to explore.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi I've been lurking for a while but its time to come out of hiding. you found my favorite place, I live near by. I'm glad you liked it. mandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Walhalla is lovely. We go there often as it is in our neck of the woods.So peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful little town.
    Slowly discovering all the little villages and towns (and the lovely cafes) around here.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It definitely looks like a place I'd fall in love with too. How cute. I've never heard of it before. Must pop it on my to visit list:) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a thrill I got to see my home town featured:)and yes if anyone has the chance to visit us here in Walhalla,you will not be disapointed by our beautiful little valley!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to visit Walhalla - from memory it was nearly eaten up by encroaching fires a couple of years ago. Can you imagine?
    It wouldn't stand a chance.
    It's looking surprisingly green for this time of year in your photos.
    So many fantastic towns to explore all over Australia.
    A teeny tiny place in South Australia called Port Macdonnell - was a lovely surprise.
    Fantastic scenery, wild coastline, dolphins, interesting old buildings, underwater caves, great bacon and eggs at the local cafe, an excellent little op shop and museum, abandoned buildings, dairy farms and I think about 500 people live there. AND they have THE most awesome cemetery - here if you want a look.
    http://freefallingskyward.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/swallowed-by-sand-dunes.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well as you know from reading our blog we do the little out of the way trips on a regular basis... it's those little hole in a wall restaurants where you will find the most tremendous foods!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.