Tuesday, February 5, 2013

bloomers



Like so many things to do with babies and toddlers, the time is fleeting. They grow so very fast, and before you know it you have a young child on your hands. Just this Summer we have started to see this transition. The daily new words, the slightly less dependence on us and an increasing understanding. I really love this age! Which brings me to a sewing project I'd always wanted to make. Bloomers. So I thought I'd better squeeze them into the projects list for this summer, while we are still in the stage of nappies and little chubby legs.




I used the pattern Ruby's Bloomers from the book Weekend Sewing, which was one of the first sewing books I ever bought. It was a simple pattern of four pieces, elastic thread to gather the leg and a waist elastic casing. Definitely a quick, done in a day, satisfying type of project. I like that. So I thought I would make four. Production line style. Done in two small sewing sessions.





Fortunately there was no need to alter this pattern for cloth nappies, as it was definitely accommodating enough. I made the largest size, which I think went up to size 2.

I used fabric I had on hand. An old embroidered tablecloth (those who collect vintage linens will know how hard it was to cut into this, but I reasoned that it was better out and about that in a cupboard), two pillowcases and some quilting cotton I had.




I think they are the sweetest thing on a slightly chubby toddler. Pop on a t-shirt or singlet for hot weather or under a dress to cover a nappy. Perhaps I can squeeze another season out of these.


Which reminds me I never did get around to making that toddler sun suit. Perhaps there is still time?



22 comments:

  1. I think they are lovely, especially the embroidered ones....I always did like a bloomer bottom... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bloomers!!! Your ones are simply divine... :) Super sweet pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on cutting into the vintage linens! So hard isn't it... I have to remind myself that I've never regretted it. My now-five-year-old (boy) had a wee pair of size 1 checked bloomers, that with leg elastic removed, he later wore as shorts and now as pyjamas. Once the nappies are gone these things can fit for years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I too love bloomers on little chubby legs - they always look so sweet.

    Have a great day!
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bloomers are just the best, up there with bonnets I think. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh those squishy legs in bloomers are delightful! love that you were brave enough to cut into your vintage finds x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are lovely and you can def squeeze another season our of those! My daughter still wears a pair of size one's just like that and she will be four in March. I got three summers out of those and they look so cute as shorts without the nappy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh*... I really do miss those cute little toddler clothes and chubby toddler legs!!
    And I really do know how you feel cutting into a vintage linen, in fact I can only do it if there is no embroidery on it or it has holes and can't be used for anything else! I just made my girl an old fashioned gown using repurposed linens but all of them were plain!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, love those bloomers. I could see my little Laura in a pair of those, She is nearly walking. I really must pull my finger out and start blogging again... :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cutting into the stash is so hard. I have suitcases full of pretty floral sheets and tablecloths that I can't bare to take the scissors to.
    I have been good lately though- a new kitchen curtain and a couple more curtains to make yet.
    The bloomers are so sweet.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I adore!!! I use to wear maroon bloomers at school as our PE uniform. Kinda like shortened pedal pushers. I wonder if those will ever come back in? I loved those as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're on a roll with your sewing! I love these and I kid you not, I think bloomers are going to make a big comeback! I wore them when I was about 8. My friend's Mum made me about 3 pairs in liberty fabric which i had no idea was liberty fabric until recently when I spotted the fabric and remembered back to the bloomers. Anyway, these are fabulous and are super vote on your little one. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're beautiful and make such good line candy. Your heat must sing as you hang them out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are the cutest little things I've seen in a very long time! Love, love, love them!

    And yes, hold on to every moment you can, they do grow so very fast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so awesome! Good job! That table cloth transformed especially well. Though I bet it was VERY hard to make that first cut. I am so with you though--way better to put it to good use that have it perfectly whole in a cupboard somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter will be three in May I wonder if she could still pull off (fashionably speaking) the bloomers? They are so adorable, I want to make her some!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.