Friday, December 9, 2011

a tree of sticks

This year we hit upon a tree dilemma. While our plastic white tree has served us well, and no doubt will again, we wondered just how safe it was to have around a crawling little one with curious fingers and a tendency to pull herself up on certain things.

Keen to avoid a tree and ornament catastrophe, and ever the practical problem solver, the hubby promised that he would find an alternative.

So we found ourselves on the weekend gathering sticks, pinecones and branches at The Shed. Though the land is filled predominantly with eucalypts, there is old schoolhouse foundations on the site and they are surrounded by a very old group of pine trees. It has been my christmas go-to site for years. It is a pinecone and mossy branch treasure trove.

When we got home we propped the sticks in my yarn basket (still with the yarn in it) , which Daniel tied with a little more wool to hold in place. A piece of scrap fabric popped over the top and it was ready to go.


This stick tree kind of lent itself well to the handmade touches this year. Most of my usual glass baubles were just a bit too big (though Luca did sneak his in there).

Some made by me, some by the kids, with a little op shop Santa thrown in and a few vintage glass ornaments from Etsy last year.


In fact I put most of our decorations back in their wrapping this year. For some reason,  we were inclined to have a simpler, pared down version of christmas. Just some special little decorations that felt like they meant something to us. With a little nature thrown in. A few jugfulls of pine branches for that christmas tree scent. A bowl of pinecones. Just simple stuff.


Wishing you all a wonderful and calm Friday in the midst of this busy season.



17 comments:

  1. Love it Tania! Simple is best for us too this Christmas. We too decided not to bring out the tree. I think we may actually sell it or donate it - it's just too big for us and I have visions of our newly acquired cat having a field day 'climbing' it and eating the decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. simplicity love tania. i am all for practicality too! enjoy the upcoming weekend with your family. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fabulous tree for your simple Christmas! I've done that very same thing in years past and never felt that the celebration was lacking. You are so wise to consider the safety of all and find a way to make it happen safe, beautiful, and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tania, I love a sticky chrisy tree. Snap! We have done the smae. Mine are just eucalypt, very soggy sticks I might add. I love all the natural handmade elements of yours.

    Happy days
    x
    jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Love all the homemade touches! And a bonus - you dont have to pull a tree down after Christmas :)
    Have a great weekend too, Tania Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love your tree Tania :)
    Our oldest two dragged in a branch of twigs one year stating that they wanted to use it as a Xmas tree, to date it's one of the best ones we have had :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes think these type of simple stick trees are my favourites, so simple and pared back- always looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tree has a great look about it Tania, I love the mix of handmade and vintage ornaments. We have two of those little knitted Santa's and my kids can never leave them on the tree, they are like the perfect miniature stuffed toy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! We're doing something similar for the same reasons - you know I love a good branch! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a tree of sticks too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was looking for something to put in the kitchen for christmas.
    Thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Growing up, my Grandma always has a Christmas tree made of fallen sticks and branches (she also had an Easter tree of trimmed, blooming branches)! I've been thinking recently about reviving her little tradition. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! I'm with you, Tania. I've packed away (due to the move) all of our ususal Xmas decorations and have bought some new gorgeous little white clay hearts danging on jute string. We're going to try to make some decorations this weekend too to add to the hearts and then find that perfect branch or two...though i haven't fully decided yet on our tree. Fun, fun, fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! I've been doing a weekly Friday post in January featuring people's trees made from sticks and branches. I'd love you to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving a stick tree this year as well, I'm not sure i want to ever go back now. The simplicity of it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your simple twiggy tree. we did a similar one for Easter. Still haven't put our tree up yet, just a tad disorganized.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tania I love your simply beautiful Christmas tree with carefully chosen decorations, love those handmade ones:) What a beautiful new tradition in your home. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.