Thursday, November 17, 2011

washing powder from scratch

It's been almost two years since I've purchased any washing powder. Previously I had a brief stint of liquid laundry making when we lived in Canberra. But I was not terribly good at organizing myself to "cook up" a batch. I find the powder version a little quicker and easier to make. Over the time I've been making it I've adapted the ingredients to suit us here. 

I don't think I could ever go back to bought laundry powder. Aside from the high cost, the scent of the commercial powders has become unbearable to me now,  though I admit that previously I was very fond of the various brands and their own signature scent. Also being far better for the health of your family and the environment.

Here is the usual batch that I make up. With almost daily washing, and believe me there is a lot of it in this house, this lasts us quite awhile.




Washing powder

4 cups grated soap flakes ( I usually use Lux flakes, but sometimes I grate Sunlight soap as this is more cost effective)
4 cups powdered washing soda (not the crystal kind)
1 cup borax ( you can increase this amount if you wish, but I use it very sparingly as all our water is recycled through our septic and then into the garden)
2 cups bicarb soda
4 dashes eucalyptus oil  (or other essential oil)
 

I pop all this straight into the tin, close the lid and give it a really good shake (holding onto that lid!) My laundry tin came with a little scoop and I use it to measure it into our front loader. I use a full scoop for a really soiled load and a little less for lighter loads. This mixture is also great for nappies - bicarb being very beneficial for nappies.







Rhonda from Down to Earth has a great washing liquid tutorial here

Do you make your own?

18 comments:

  1. I've been making my washing powder for a while now and I really enjoy knowing what's going into it and that it's much cheaper. I've used a couple of recipes, Meagan's from ecoMILF and recently Steph's at Mon Petit posted a simple one using liquid soap instead of grated soap which was nice and quick. Thanks for sharing your recipe. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also been making my own washing powder for awhile as hubby and I both have a skin condition and making our own has helped. I had to substitute the borax a couple of times though.
    Where do you get your brand of borax from????
    Thanks for sharing
    Kristie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I make my own laundry soap except mine is the liquid. I dont add borax to my mix though as it is pumped onto our garden. I might give your recipe a try because it sounds much easier...

    Thank you for sharing Tania...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi KristieJane - I get mine from Woolworths (in the cleaning aisle) which is the only place in town that sells it. Though some IGA's also sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not looked back since I started making my own. It takes a little while to grate the soap but I do it in such large batches that it's worth the little effort required.
    Steph from Mon Petit Poppet posted a laundry powder recipe a while back that I have been wanting to try, just waiting for this batch to run dry.
    I like the addition of eucalyptus oil..it's what I use for my floors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer soap nuts, and am going to make another batch of soapnut liquid for handwash today too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've also been using soapnuts for six months or so now. They seem to work fine really and it makes me more confident about using the grey water on the garden. I use a bit of spray stain remover (orange oil eco friendly one) on any visible marks. My whites aren't exactly snowy but I'm not fussed.
    I like the sound of your recipe, I may try it one day to compare to soapnut results, thanks for sharing :)
    Oh and I agree with your comment about finding commercial powders and cleaners horribly smelly now! Funny what you get used to. Our wash and indeed our whole house smells like 'nothing' really now! Most of us have grown up conditioned to think perfumes equal clean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe, i'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to make my own back in Sydney..
    I thought it worked really well.

    I posted about it here:
    http://growcooksew.blogspot.com/2010/07/eco-living.html

    Almost looks like we shop at the same place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the recipe will try it although I was unaware Lux was still available I will keep my eyes open for it next shop.... would scare me off the borax after reading notes on this website..bottom of page

    I have been putting some borax in my washing lately ... we are on seep away septic so not good for our area

    http://www.hazeltreefarm.com/2011/10/home-made-laundry-powder-and-home-made.html

    cheers Bev :)☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't ventured into DIY laundry powder yet. still working my way through a big bulk 12kg box of powder. keen to give this a try though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm yet to try making my own washing powder. It sounds fairly simple so I really must give it a go. Thank you for the recipe. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankyou, I have been meaning to make some for a while and this looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just started making my own. I like the look of your recipe, thank you. I will try it as my current batch has almost finished.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been looking for an easy laundry powder recipe for agesssss and have not found one that has been straight forward enough for my busy brain. Brilliant! This plus the custard recipe has just made my weekend. L xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tania

    I just found your blog...it is lovely! I have been making my washing powder for about 12 months now and use the same recipe but don't do the eucalyptus - that is a great idea, will give it a go. I use eucalyptus in water to wash our floors which is really lovely. I am like you - the smell of supermarket powder is unbearable for me now. Would never go back to it. hx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Tania

    I just found your blog...it is lovely! I have been making my washing powder for about 12 months now and use the same recipe but don't do the eucalyptus - that is a great idea, will give it a go. I use eucalyptus in water to wash our floors which is really lovely. I am like you - the smell of supermarket powder is unbearable for me now. Would never go back to it. hx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are my teacher.i will use you formula and see what is going to happen
    Thanks
    Charge

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. If you have any questions please check back later as I will do my best to answer any within the comments section.